Most people in tomato cultivation treat it as an annual plant. Usually planting after the spring weather starts to heat up. It requires a minimum ground temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit to grow. Furthermore, for getting maximum yield, you need the best fertilizer for a tomato plant.
The Nutrient Need
Depend on the result of a soil test; we can conclude the nutrient that needed for the garden. Currently is easy to do by your self because there is cheap soil test kit you can get online.
The soil with high or balanced nitrogen needs high phosphorus fertilizer with lower nitrogen content. The choices are 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. An NPK value of 5-10-5 means that the fertilizer contains 5% nitrogen, 10% phosphorus, and 5% potassium.
A balanced fertilizer like 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 is needed when the soil has low nitrogen content. And avoid high nitrogen fertilizer such as urea, ammonium sulfate or fresh manure, because you can over fertilize.
When should you add fertilizer to a tomato plant?
The best way to start fertilizing is before you plant and periodically during the growing cycle. Add the second dose of fertilizer when a tomato plant set fruit.
Then you can regularly fertilize the plants every 7 to 10 days, while the fruit is growing bigger and ready to pick.
- First, avoid direct contact between root of the plants with a raw fertilizer; it will burn the plant
- Make the planting hole by dig down about 6 inches and mix the tomato fertilizer with soil at the bottom
- Place unfertilized land on top of this and sides of the hole as well
- Plant the tomato into the hole about 3 inches deep
- Don’t forget to make sure the plant is watering well while the fruit starts setting.
- You have to put next dose of fertilizer on the ground about 6 inches distance from the plant base
- Lack of water and too close fertilizing will make the plant burnt because take too much fertilizer
Example of Specialized Tomato Fertilizer
Besides can use regular NPK fertilizer, there is some specialized produced fertilizer for the tomato plant. The benefit is easy to use, precise composition and already adjusted to the need of each growing steps.
- Applied every 7- 14 days
- Just mixed with water and spray using any watering can
- It contains 18-18-21 NPK with 0.05 % magnesium
- 1.5 lbs and 3 lbs available size
- Can use for other fruits/vegetables: squash, zucchini, pepper plants
Tomato Tone – Organic
- This product is an organic type that contains living microbes
- Many benefits for environmentally safe and the final product can sell as organic vegetable
- Did not make your tomato burn